Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Letter to Developer

Dear Mr. Skirven:

This letter is to tell you that I was sincere at the Landmarks Preservation Commission last week when I volunteered to help you with the historic tax credit paperwork and to edit your marketing materials for the Villas at Eden Terrace should the Bloede House remain as part of the development. Ms. Wise, who also testified at the hearing, and I would also be willing to create a booklet on Mr. Bloede and his house that you can reproduce for distribution to potential residents. It would be our contribution to help save the house.

I know that I am not in your shoes, but in this buyer's market I have to think that you really don't believe the house is a complete millstone.

The house adds panache and a tradition that other developments don't have. Preservation is a green endeavor as well. Finally, it lets buyers know that you are serious and trustworthy. I suggested one marketing slogan at the hearing. Here's another: "We restored this house for another hundred years. We took the same care building your house." The running gag about new subdivisions is that they are named after the special features that they remove; the Villas can escape that fate by retaining the Bloede house.


Daniel Rosen

No comments: